Friday, January 14, 2011

CrossFit Totaled

Finally, after a week of boring workout posts, I actually have something worth posting.  I have to admit I was a little nervous about maxing out today.  It's been a long time since I actually tried and I had no idea what I'd be able to do.  Unfortunately, not having a good grasp on where I was at actually held me back from hitting some more impressive PRs...more on that later.


Squat
135x5
155x3
185x2
225x1
240x1
285x1
300x1 (PR)

I've never really been a fan of the back squat since getting my ACL repaired, but I have to say it's beginning to grow on me.  My hamstrings are looser, my hip feels good, and I'm finding the intensity I need to actually get better.  The 300 actually went up pretty fast. Faster than I was expecting actually.  I could have tried another heavier set, but Rippetoe's "don't be greedy" comment from the  CrossFit Journal  (referring to the CF Total) flashed into my head.  I obeyed...

Press
95x5
115x3
125x1
140x1
150xF
145xF

Press is def. my weakest lift.  In fact, most upper body pressing movements are not my forte.  I thought I'd be  able to hit at least 150, but sadly I was mistaken.  My shoulders were a little sore still from the WOD I did 2 days ago (amazing how much plain push-ups kick my ass), but that's still no excuse.

Deadlift
145x5
185x3
225x2
275x1
315x1
335x1
365x1
405x1 (PR)


After a weird shoulder/lat issue popped up last week during deadlifts, I was worried about this max attempt.  Luckily, for whatever reason (maybe due to recent mobility efforts) I didn't have any issue.  365 to 405 seemed like a big jump, but I didn't feel like wasting any time.  This was another one that (surprisingly) flew up.

CF Total Score:  845

All in all, not a bad result.  I'm starting a new routine Monday (Mike's Gym) that will hopefully help with Oly lifting...I'm going to make sure I sprinkle in back squats and deadlifts when I can.  I like the site because Burgener posts the weeks workouts in advance, which makes it easy to figure out when to do Deadlifts and back squats (if they aren't already planned).


Friday night "out"

Someone (Mitch) commented that I post a lot about eating and lifting, but nothing about living. Tonight would apparently qualify as living since I hung out "in a social setting with other people"...Paul was there too.  The night consisted of cooking, eating, and Paul talking shit as usual (and not just to me!).  It ended up being a really fun time though.  Tomorrow might bring even more fun, as we're supposed to check out this new bar/lounge/bowling alley called Sparians.

Dinner:
Burgers (topped with bacon, tomato, and avocado), sauteed spinach, and sweet potato fries.

Spinach cooked in bacon grease...delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment